It’s no secret, Knorr can help any chef take shrimp from bland to BAM! Knorr shares how to choose, prep and cook shrimp as well as some shrimp recipes that will have everyone at the table going back for seconds.
How to Choose Shrimp
Selecting shrimp can be intimidating. Any grocer’s seafood counter should be able to assist as you shop, but these tips can also help boost your confidence when picking shrimp for your next dish:
- Choose firm, juicy shrimp that have translucent moist shells.
- Shrimp should have a fresh and sea-like scent. Any strong odor suggests the shrimp are not fresh. Yellowish shells or dry spots may be an indicator of freezer burn.
- Smaller cold-water shrimp are sweeter and more succulent, making them an excellent choice for sandwiches and salads.
- Larger shrimp are very tasty and adapt well to nearly any dish.
How to Prepare Shrimp:
- If you have bought frozen shrimp, be sure to fully defrost the shrimp before cooking.
- For most recipes, it is easier to purchase peeled and deveined shrimp. In the case your shrimp is not deveined, cut a small slit down the back of the body of larger shrimp with a sharp knife, exposing a black vein. Remove the vein using the tip of the knife. The vein is edible, but can taste a bit gritty, particularly on larger shrimp.
- If your recipe calls to butterfly the shrimp, devein and remove the shell (if not already purchased that way), but leave the tail in place. This will give you something to hold onto later. Remove the vein as mentioned above, but take extra care not to slice the shrimp all the way through. Push the meat apart and you’re left with a butterfly shrimp.
How to Cook Shrimp
Avoid the boring and be bold with your shrimp dishes with the use of Knorr’s Shrimp Granulated Bouillon, Knorr’s Shrimp Cube Bouillon, or Knorr’s Tomato with Chicken Cube Bouillon. Just add water and Knorr’s bouillon will have your shrimp dishes packing a flavorful punch.
Before adding shrimp to a delicious broth or your favorite dish, it’s important to fully cook it. Here are some quick tips for cooking shrimp:
- Shrimp cooks quickly. Medium-sized shrimp usually take 3-4 minutes to cook, large shrimp 5-8 minutes and extra-large shrimp take around 7-8 minutes.
- Shrimp is fully cooked when their flesh has turned pink and opaque throughout.
- Be careful to not overcook shrimp, as a minute or two too long can make shrimp tough and flavorless.
Shrimp Dish Recipes:
Looking for a quick shrimp recipe that the whole family will love? Try Knorr’s garlic shrimp recipe for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Prep time: 5 - 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 - 10 minutes
- 1 - 1.5 lbs of shrimp
- Butter or margarine
- Minced garlic
- Melt some butter or margarine in a large skillet, add the shrimp, some minced garlic, and cook on high heat.
- Cook the shrimp for about 2-3 minutes each side, until it has turned pink and opaque throughout. You can always cut one of the larger shrimp in half to check it is cooked through before serving.
- Serve over Knorr’s Alfredo Pasta or Knorr’s Butter Pasta
Still looking for more inspiration? Knorr’s got plenty. Try these mouth-watering shrimp recipes:
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers: made with sweet paprika, garlic, and Knorr® Tomato Bouillon with Chicken Cube Bouillon this dish is a dinner time hit.
- Creamy Shrimp Alfredo: try this tasty meal for four, just add juicy shrimp, tomatoes and spinach to Knorr’s Pasta Sides™ - Alfredo.
- Shrimp Tacos with Mango Red Pepper Salsa: this quick and flavorful meal will give a whole new spin to Taco Tuesday with the help of Knorr® Shrimp Bouillon and fresh mango red pepper salsa.
- Shrimp Scampi Fettuccine: this amazing dish comes together with a few simple ingredients - shrimp, garlic, green beans, Knorr® Pasta Sides™ - Butter flavor and grape tomatoes.
- Creole Rice with Sausage, Greens & Shrimp: an unforgettable mix of shrimp, kielbasa and Knorr® Menu Flavors Rice Sides™ - Creole Garlic Butter, this delicious meal can be made in less than 35 minutes.
- Shrimp Ceviche: make fresh ceviche in a moment's notice with the help of Knorr® Shrimp Bouillon and Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise.
- Smokey Shrimp & Tomato Bisque: this deliciously hot bisque will be sure to impress everyone at the table, featuring Knorr® Tomato Bouillon with Chicken flavor Cubes, a pound of medium shrimp and chipotle peppers.
We can’t wait to see what Knorr’s shrimp dishes inspire. Share what you create next!