- 7 cups water
- 2 larges dried ancho chili peppers or guajillo chilies, stems removed and seeded
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs. plum tomatoes, roasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 2 Tbsp. Knorr® Tomato Bouillon with Chicken flavor
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, roasted
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Juice from 1 lime
Bring 1 cup water to a boil over high heat in 1-quart saucepan. Remove saucepan from heat and add chilies. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or until softened. Drain, cool and coarsely chop chilies; set aside.
Heat 1 inch vegetable oil over medium-high heat in another 1-quart saucepan and cook tortillas, in batches, until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
Heat olive oil over medium heat in 5-quart saucepot and cook garlic, stirring frequently, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, onion, chilies and oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 6 cups water and Knorr® Tomato Bouillon with Chicken flavor. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
Process mixture in food processor or blender, in batches, until smooth. Return soup to saucepot. Stir in chicken, corn and zucchini. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, then add tortilla strips. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
Garnish, if desired, with chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream, lime wedges and additional fried tortilla strips.