Skip to content
- 1 lb. boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 1-in. cubes
- 2 Tbsp. oil, divided
- 3/4 cup Burgundy or dry red wine
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small clove garlic, finely c hopped
- 1 1/2 cups water, divided
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 package Knorr® Au Jus gravy mix
Season beef if desired, with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepot over medium-high heat and brown beef well on all sides. Remove beef to bowl; set aside. Add wine to pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pot; boil until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Add to bowl with beef; set aside.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same pot over medium-high heat and cook onions 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Return beef and wine to pot; add 1 cup water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered stirring occasionally, until beef is tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
Stir in carrots and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
Whisk together Knorr® Au Jus gravy mix and remaining 1/2 cup water in small bowl. Stir into pot and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 3 minutes.