Jamaican Brown Stew with Chicken & Sweet Potato
1 H 20 MINS
1 H 10 MINS
- 1 Knorr Chicken Stock Pot
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2 mixed-colour bell pepper deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions. finely chopped
- 1 hot red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1-2 tsp reduced-salt soy sauce
Toss the chicken in the marinade ingredients, then leave to marinate for 1 hour, or preferably overnight. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan.
Tip the chicken, along with the marinade, into a roasting tray, then place in the hot oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden but not cooked through.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan, then add the onion, ginger, chillies, thyme leaves and peppers. Cook gently until softened.
Boil the kettle. Measure out 600ml of boiling water in a measuring jug, then add the Knorr Chicken Stock Pot and stir to make a stock.
Stir the roasted chicken, sweet potato and tomato paste into the pan.
Pour in the hot stock, then simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened and reduced.
- Amount per Serving
|Nutritional values||Amount per Serving|
|Energy (kcal)||309.464 kcal|
|Protein (g)||19.614 g|
|Sugar (g)||12.847 g|
|Fat (g)||13.65 g|
|Fibre (g)||4.392 g|
Want to receive recipes, tips & tricks on how to eat sustainable?
Tell us your cooking preferences and we'll do the rest.