WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 3 medium yellow onions
- 1 (5-1/2 to 6-lb.) whole chicken, skin and all visible fat removed
- 3 Tbsp. Knorr® Chicken flavor Bouillon
- 11 cups water
- 6 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 lb. plum tomatoes
- 2 dried guajillo chile peppers, toasted and stemmed
- 2 dried poblano chilies or mulato chilis, toasted and stemmed
- 3/4 cup (105 g) pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 3/4 cup (105 g) sesame seeds, toasted
- 15 whole black peppercorns, toasted
- 8 whole cloves, toasted
- 1 medium cinnamon stick, toasted
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- 5 tsp. dried Mexican oregano leaves, toasted
- 6 large carrots, about 1-1/2 lb., peeled, sliced into 1/4-in. thick slices
- 4 medium potatoes, about 1-1/4 lb., unpeeled, cut into 1/2-in. thick quarter moons
- 2 chayotes, peeled, pitted and cut into 3/4-in. cubes
Amount per serving
Let's Get Cooking
Peel onions. Cut 2 onions into quarters and coarsely chop remaining onion; set aside.
Bring 1 of the quartered onions, chicken, Knorr® Chicken flavor Bouillon and water to a boil in large stockpot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer briskly, covered, until chicken is done and wings and legs pull easily from body, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, arrange remaining quartered onion, garlic and tomatoes on foil-lined baking sheet or broiler pan. Broil, turning occasionally until lightly charred. Remove vegetables from baking sheet to large bowl as they char, about 12 minutes. Peel garlic cloves.
Toast cilantro, turning occasionally, until fragrant and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Combine roasted vegetables, chilies, seeds, spices and herbs in large bowl, set aside.
When chicken is cooked, remove from stockpot and allow to cool. Remove 3 cups cooking liquid cool slightly. Add carrots and remaining chopped onion to stockpot and return to a simmer.
When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and coarsely chop or shred; set aside.
Combine roasted vegetable mixture in blender. Process in batches, adding reserved 3 cups cooking liquid as needed to make a smooth paste. Be very careful blending if the cooking liquid is hot. Stir into stockpot and return to a simmer.
Stir in potatoes and chayote and cook until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chicken and heat through. Serve with brown rice or green salad.