- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs. (1.25 kgs) beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. (45 mL) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) dry red wine
- 1 package (227 g) mushrooms, halved or quartered if very large
- 4 large carrots, sliced diagonally into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 pot Knorr® Homestyle Stock Beef
Amount per serving
Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 4 minutes. Remove bacon and set aside. Reserve bacon fat in skillet.
Season beef, if desired, with salt and pepper; coat with flour. Heat bacon fat in skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the beef and cook, turning to cook all sides, until browned, about 3 minutes . Add beef to slow cooker and repeat with remaining beef adding 1 tablespoon (15 mL) vegetable oil, if necessary. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring 1 minute until beef is coated. Stir in wine and scrape up any brown bits from bottom of skillet. Add beef mixture to slow cooker.
Add mushrooms, carrots, onion, water and Knorr® Homestyle Stock Beef to slow cooker; stir well. Cook at HIGH 6 hours or LOW 10 hours until beef is tender.
Sprinkle with bacon and garnish, if desired, with chopped fresh parsley. Serve, if desired, with mashed potatoes*.