- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) 1-in. (2.5 cm) pieces asparagus, blanched
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped cooked ham (about 4 oz./125 g)
- 3 cups (750 mL) milk
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 package Knorr® Cream of Broccoli Dry Soup Mix
- 1 French baguette (about 24 in./ 60 cm) ends and bottom crust trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch (1.5 cm) thick slices
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Amount per serving
Calories from Fat170
Melt margarine in small nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook onion covered, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 15 minutes.
Spray 13 x 9-in. (3.5 L or 33 x 23 cm) baking dish with no-stick cooking spray. Combine onion, asparagus and ham in medium bowl. Whisk together milk, eggs and Knorr® Cream of Broccoli Dry Soup Mix in large bowl. Arrange half of the bread in single layer in prepared baking dish. Layer half the asparagus mixture over bread. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup (175 mL) cheese. Repeat bread and asparagus mixture layers. Pour egg mixture into dish and press down gently to cover bread with liquid. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350° (180° F). Remove strata from refrigerator and let stand 15 minutes at room temperature. Bake covered 50 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup (175 mL) cheese. Bake 15 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.