Bean & Chorizo Tamales
- Makes 25 tamale
- Preparation Time10 min
- Cooking Time1 hr 8 min
- 30 corn husks
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chorizo sausage, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) refried beans
- 1 Tbsp. Knorr® Chicken flavor Bouillon
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3 cups masa harina
- 1 cup lard or vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Soak corn husks in warm water until soft, about 1 hour. Drain and throughly dry corn husks.
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet and cook onion and chorizo stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in refried beans, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water if needed, and cook until heated through; set aside.
- For masa dough, dissolve Knorr® Chicken flavor Bouillon in boiling water. Pour water into mixing bowl, then stir in masa harina and baking powder. Beat on medium speed using paddle attachment, until combined. Remove from bowl and set aside. Beat lard on high speed in same bowl until very fluffy. Reduce speed to medium, then add masa mixture, a handful at a time, until mixture is smooth and well combined. Increase speed to high and beat until masa is a soft, thick paste, about about 4 minutes. Cover and set aside.
- Spread 1/2 cup masa dough onto each husk. Place 2 tablespoons bean filling on the middle of the masa dough. Fold sides of corn husk to center, wrapping the filling. Fold one end of corn husk up against the seam to seal.
- Arrange tamales vertically in steamer basket over a pot over boiling water, top with extra husks. Cover with lid and steam until husks pull away from filling, about 45 minutes. Check water level often and add additional water as necessary to avoid burning tamales. Cool tamales 3 minutes before serving.