Tamarind Rice & Chick Peas
- Recipe Serves4
- Preparation Time15 min
- Cooking Time25 min
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 small green and/or red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup regular rice or converted rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2/3 cup tamarind juice or papaya nectar
- 5 tsp. Knorr® Reduced Sodium Chicken flavor Bouillon
- 1 can (16 oz.) chick peas or garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook green peppers and rice, stirring frequently, 4 minutes or until rice is golden. Stir in water, tamarind juice and Knorr® Reduced Sodium Chicken flavor Bouillon and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 10 minutes. Stir in chick peas or garbanzo beans and simmer covered 10 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in oranges and almonds. Garnish, if desired, with chopped fresh cilantro.
- *Also terrific with Knorr Chicken flavor Bouillon. Simply substitute 1 Tbsp. Knorr Chicken flavor Bouillon for the Knorr Reduced Sodium Chicken Bouillon.
- For an adventurous option, substitute 1/2 cup quinoa for the chick peas. Reduce rice to 1/2 cup and stir in quinoa after bringing water, tamarind juice and Bouillon to a boil. Simmer covered 20 minutes or until rice is tender.