- Recipe Serves10
- Preparation Time5 min
- Cooking Time2 hr 30 min
- 1 lb. dry pinto beans
- 1/4 cup lard [or vegetable oil]
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 Knorr® Onion MiniCube(s)
- 3 Knorr® Garlic MiniCube(s)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Cover beans with water and soak overnight. Drain and rinse. Cover beans in 2-inches water in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender, adding more water if necessary, to keep beans covered.
- Process 3 cups beans with cooking liquid in a blender or food processor until smooth. Drain cooking liquid from remaining beans and mash with potato masher. Combined with processed beans.
- Heat lard in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook cumin about 30 seconds. Add beans, Knorr® Onion MiniCube(s) and Knorr® Garlic MiniCube(s) and cook about 15 minutes, until thickened, stirring often. Sprinkle with cheese and cook covered about 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.