Our Chimichangas appetizer recipe is a sure-fire hit at large fiestas and intimate gatherings alike. Featuring just the right amount of peppers, chicken, and cheese, you’ll come back for seconds…and maybe thirds.
- Recipe Serves4
- Preparation Time20 min
- Cooking Time10 min
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, roasted, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 tsp. Knorr® Reduced Sodium Chicken flavor Bouillon
- 1 can (15 oz.) refried beans, heated according to package instructions
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- additional oil for deep frying
- 8 (10-in.) burrito size flour tortillas, warmed
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook onion about 4 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add peppers and garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add chicken, water and Knorr® Reduced Sodium Chicken flavor Bouillon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 4 minutes until most of the water is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Evenly spoon chicken mixture, beans and cheese onto tortillas. Roll up and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- Heat oil in deep sided skillet over medium heat and fry chimichangas about 3 minutes or until deep golden brown, turning occasionally; drain on paper towels. Serve with chopped tomato, grated cheese, sour cream and guacamole.